Teinane Okpokiti is the firm’s principal commercial lawyer with over 13 years’ experience of active involvement in corporate & commercial practice and providing legal solutions to challenges faced by clients. He centers his practice on the legal aspects of domestic and international Oil & Gas, Energy, Private Equity and Project Finance transactions.
Mr. Okpokiti has extensive experience in exploration and production activities not limited to onshore & offshore drilling, joint operating agreements, hydrocarbon trading , evacuation agreements, FPSO Agreements, production sharing contracts, engineering and procurement contracts.
Mr. Okpokiti’s assists and advises clients on divestments, foreign direct investments, private equity, joint ventures, merger & acquisitions, project finance, secured and unsecured syndicated lending. Mr. Okpokiti has advised and represented local and international clients in a wide range of sectors including Oil and Gas, Financial Technology, Manufacturing, Communication, Banking & Finance and Maritime. He has been involved in numerous cross-border transactions covering different jurisdictions not limited Singapore, United States of America, United kingdom, Bermuda, Malta, Mozambique, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Netherlands, Malaysia, United Kingdom South- Sudan, Liberia, France, Ghana.
Mr. Okpokiti’s experience of practicing as an in-house counsel and at a law firm provides a unique insight of understanding legal and business challenges facing clients.
Mr. Okpokiti obtained an LL.B degree from Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port-Harcourt and an LL.M in Corporate Governance and Financial Regulations from the University of Warwick, United Kingdom.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr Okpokiti was the General Counsel for Century Exploration and Production Limited (Operator OML 46 ) and had previously worked in a commercial law firm and a financial advisory firm in England.
Mr Okpokiti seats on the board of companies offering his expertise on legal, business and governance issues.
- advised an indigenous E&P company in respect of a $350 Million International Oil Company divestment for an Oil Mining Lease with value circa $350 Million.
- advised an independent E&P company that successfully farmed-in into Oil Mining Lease.
- represented a fintech company on a $ 5 Million government educational intervention program.
- advised an entity with Denton LLP in respect of the acquisition of the Gbarain Generation Company (Genco) in connection to Nigerian Integrated Power Plant (NIPP) privatization process.
- advised a company in respect of contractual framework of a 15 year Licence to Operate (LTO) contract to manage and operate an offshore logistics port.
- advised a trading company in respect of crude term lifting contracts with the Federal Government of Nigeria.
- advised an exploration & production company on the contractual framework for re-entry and field development of an Oil Mining Lease.
- advised an oil and gas company in respect of the acquisition of upstream assets in Mozambique, South Sudan, Uganda, Ghana etc.
- advised an investment company in respect of financing and acquisition of a $ 60 million real estate portfolio.
- involved in structuring numerous joint venture arrangements locally and across border.
- advised in numerous mergers and acquisitions locally and internationally .
- represented a client in the purchase of Floating Production Storage Offloading (FPSO) vessel with value of $80 Million.
- advised clients in connection to contractual negotiations and successful engagement of drilling rigs for re-entry and other drilling programs.
- advised various clients on shipping charter party arrangements and crude evacuation contracts.
- advised an international shipping company with a mixed fleet of 13 Offshore Support Vessels(OSV’s) and Tankers providing Turnkey Marine and Offshore Logistics service with turnover of over $80 million annually.
- advised a service company on the structuring of major operation and maintenance contracts for exploration assets with a cumulative production capacity of 150,000 bbls/day.